General Description: Theatre Assistants for Nelson Hall will be expected to perform general tasks associated with set up and breakdown of production, i.e. load in, load out, assembling stage, sets, hanging pipe and drape, adjusting stage lighting (with direction), clearing back stage area for artists, moving furniture, and setting up tables and sound equipment as directed by the Theatre Manager or Production Manager assigned to the event. Theatre Assistants will also be required to assist with parking for brief intervals before and sometimes after performances, which will be coordinated with the stage setup or breakdown assignments.
Theatre Assistant may also be asked to perform general maintenance duties as necessary to prepare or breakdown events.
Essential Job Functions:
- Load-in and load-out of set and equipment for productions
- Assemble removable stage, sets, pipe and drape, and other props as directed
- Move instruments, furniture, sound and lighting equipment as directed
- Set up and clear stage and backstage areas as directed
- Work as a team with cast, crew and Stage/Production Manager of incoming productions
- Pre-show parking direction, up to two hours before performance
- Work under the direction of the Nelson Hall Stage Systems Coordinator
- Must demonstrate good customer service skills for greeting and assisting guests and working with incoming crews
Work Area and Working Conditions:
- Work conditions will include backstage area, on-stage area, load-in platform, parking lots
- Subject to frequent interruptions
- Frequently exposed to outside elements, including wet and humid conditions, hot and cold weather
- Will be supplied with safety visibility vest, lights and umbrellas for parking assignments
Entry Level Qualifications:
- High School graduate or graduate of technical or performing arts school preferred.
- Experience in theatre or set production.
- Some Woodworking or carpentry experience.
Physical Requirement (with or without reasonable accommodation):.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use arms, legs and hands for lifting and assembly.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to sit, climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- Must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 lbs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 lbs
- Specific vision abilities required including close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Equipment to be used:
- Ladders, flashlights, basic tools and hardware for set assembly
- Ramps and other miscellaneous stage equipment
- Occasional use of golf cart for transporting parking cones, signs, etc.
- Dollies for moving props and sets